Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Don't ever graduate

College that is, not high school. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for those days...

That's what we tell our friends who are still at State (which are fewer and fewer--we're all growin' up!) Justin and I had such a WONDERFUL time at State and the UCSC (University Christian Student Center). My experience there makes me believe that a Christian College education is not essential, which was a former belief of mine.

Why the change you ask?
(1) you have an opportunity to evanglize to non-believers--there aren't too many of those at CCs
(2) you were challenged by different beliefts, but the UCSC was there to reenforce the Truth
(3) Perry Jinkerson -- College Minister
(4) College sports!!!!!!!!! Ha! The real deal, not glorified HS.

Now, I don't recommend a State school for high school seniors who are not "Bibically grounded." There are many temptations, but if you've been *raised right* and most importantly, made the decision for yourself that you'll serve God no matter what, then you'll do quite well! I can say all this since I was forunate enough to experience both worlds. I loved my time at Faulkner too!

Another factor at State...we were newly weds! Bliss.

Justin and I loved our time there so much and truly enjoyed seeing a lot of our school buddies at a wedding last weekend. It was so good to see Richard, Lindsay, Brad, Dustin, Perry, Amie, Daniel, Bethany, Carli, Eric, JohnT, Anne, Scott.

We were able to stop by and see Mama and Daddy too! We hadn't been to their house in over a year! It was good to be back at their home. I got to see my kitties too! Mac and Gilbert are 9, almost 10 years old! They're twins. Mac is named after Mark MacGwire-they showed up at the time he was making is homerun record. And Gil is named after "Gilbert" from the Anne of Green Gables series. After having Lucy for a year now, I got use to petting hard and rough. I had to remember how to pet cats. I love them so much! They are such sweeties; I love the purr box! Since it was so cold outside, they got to come inside. They LOVE the fireside rug.




3 comments:

Audra Laney said...

I agree with your sentiments on Christian colleges vs non-Christian if and only if the person is well grounded and self disciplined. Although, I think I would have enjoyed daily chapel. Too bad we didn't have that to start off every morning!

Your trip looks like it was fun, but I don't think you mentioned where you were. Did someone get married? You look so pretty, as usual!

I miss you!

Jonesy Thompson said...

I second your comments about a state school, but UGA was hard to jump into after a small high school with a graduating class of 140! But the spiritual life doesn't have to suffer at state schools, and that is common faulty thinking. What would I have done without you at Faulkner?

Lerra said...

I was recently introduced to the idea of a Gap year - a year off after high school graduation & before heading off to college. The idea is for the teenager to get out into the world - whether working or doing mission work or whatever - before heading off to college. I think it's a great idea & a good way for a kid to have some time to mature before leaving his/her parents.