
On Saturday Leigh and I took a little trip up to Prattville. We went to Bogg's Pottery and looked at urns and lions for our houses. This is the lion I like. What do you think? I'm 'fo reals.
We also heard of a Flea Market (fm) that might have some fun finds. Not only was the fm next to “Piggly Wiggly,” locals were milling about. As we broke through the stale cigarette smoke we came upon a big mess of potential treasures. (Thankfully the cigarette smell was only at the entrance-we would have left if it was throughout) Leigh mentioned that she felt like she was back in the ‘Houn. I agreed. As we shopped, we noticed rules for your shopping experience. (1) You will be fined if you buy directly from a dealer. (2) The dealer will be expelled from the fm if they conduct purchases from their booth and do not do business “up front.” (3) You would also be fined $50.00 if you go in the “employees only” area. I commented that the owners must have been librarians in their past life. Not only were the rules posted, the girls up front would remind us and get on the loud speaker commanding shoppers to “not play with the ‘antique’ toys.” They were fm Nazis.
As I was browsing a "local" came up beside me. He was gross. His stomach was hanging out of the bottom of his shirt, his hair had not been touched in quite some time and he had a few teeth missing. He randomly and loudly asked me, "How would you like to be 16 and pregnant with twins?!" My first thought was, well I can bet that these multiples are not from IVF. Then I though about responding with, "well that's what happens when you have sex! duh!" That was cold, so I opted for, "that would be terrible." Let's hope that nothing horrible happened to the girl and that they babies will be blessed by the Lord so they will come to know him. And we can say a prayer for the yucky local guy to find the double stroller he saw there last week.
We were there for 3 hours and only went along the perimeter of the store! We didn’t even get to the middle. We definitely want to go back! But our #1 find (that we did not leave with) was a coffee table that had the Last Supper carved in it. Not only was it quite a work of art, it had The Da Vinci Code twist to it. (Mary Mag. is included). Leigh took time to reflect and meditate. All (six specifically) are welcome at this table...
The other good finds we made were:
A Frankoma planter. I’ve been looking at some websites to determine the real value of the piece, but I’m not sure what its worth yet. My preliminary research points to not more than $20. I paid $3, so I’m still doing well.
Leigh found a piece of McCoy pottery. It was only $10.
We were there for 3 hours and only went along the perimeter of the store! We didn’t even get to the middle. We definitely want to go back! But our #1 find (that we did not leave with) was a coffee table that had the Last Supper carved in it. Not only was it quite a work of art, it had The Da Vinci Code twist to it. (Mary Mag. is included). Leigh took time to reflect and meditate. All (six specifically) are welcome at this table...

The other good finds we made were:A Frankoma planter. I’ve been looking at some websites to determine the real value of the piece, but I’m not sure what its worth yet. My preliminary research points to not more than $20. I paid $3, so I’m still doing well.

Leigh found a piece of McCoy pottery. It was only $10.
A great antique print for $20, framed…its very similar to a painting my great Aunt Deda had above her bed. It’s a beautiful piece. It now lives in my living room. Leigh also found a huge print similar to mine, but it has an agricultural theme. She needed a huge piece for one of her rooms. I’ll try to get pics of her purchases too.
I also got a few antique books to decorate my shelves with. The red book is a first printing. They are all pretty old and will look great on the shelves!

Weekend before last I purchase some plates to decorate my shelves. I hope they had some punches of color to the dark end of the room.

We had a great time shopping and look forward to completing the fm circuit. We also went to Target and got some great stuff off the clearance rack. And we found the Chilton County Fruit Stand and Nursery. They had beautiful pumpkins and gourds. They also had some of the biggest ferns ever (mom you would have died). We purchased our pumpkins, some produce and I got an urn there. It's made out of some kind of "durable" styrofoam stuff, but it is way cool. Needless to say, Leigh's 2 door Honda was PACKED! I don't think we could fit much more in.
Well, my pictures are a mess and I have figured out how to make them pretty...sorry.

3 comments:
Wow! When I first opened your post I thought, "Hilary bought that lion? That so doesn't look like her style." lol! While you pray for the children of the 16 year old mother, I'll pray this guy finds a newer, bigger shirt. I can't stand midriff exposing shirts on sweaty, hairy fat men. Ick!
Great finds from the antique store! You know I've NEVER been to a flea market or antique shopping? I have a feeling I'm missing out...
You girls find the coolest things to do! I love it!
You can't be "fo' real" about the lion, can you? He's bigger than the front porch!!!! I definitely agree with Audra, he just isn't your style!!
Ma
Post a Comment