
Today I am venturing into another area in the blogging world…an opinion piece. I need to cultivate my writing abilities, so here’s my first shot. Comments, critiques welcome.
I would like to begin with a statement from the “illustrious” Whoopie Goldberg.
"[F]rom where he [Michael Vick] comes from" in the South, dog fighting isn't that unusual.
"He's from the South, from the Deep South ... This is part of his cultural upbringing,"
"It's like cockfighting in Puerto Rico," she said. "There are certain things that are indicative to certain parts of the country."
"How about dog torture and dog murdering?" another asked.
“For many people, dogs are sport," Goldberg replied, "and it appeared it took awhile for Vick to realize that he was up against serious charges.”
"I just thought it was interesting, because it seemed like a light went off in his head when he realized this was something that the entire country didn't appreciate," she said.
First of all, Virginia (where Vick is from), “Deep South?” I don’t think so!
Second, to suggest that dog fighting is a culturally excepted practice in the “South” is incorrect. Everyone has at least heard of dog fights, but the gaming and torture of animals is unacceptable and not common place in my South. There are sub-cultures that condone this type of gamming (two adjectives come to mind), but once again the southern states are being generalized and lumped into one category, backwards and ignorant.
Thirdly, just because your mama, cousins and uncles do it, doesn’t mean its right. We are all responsible for our own behavior. Quit trying to pass the buck! Own up to your own sins! God gave us a mind and a conscience, and choice so use it!
Self Critique: It’s not great. Not much of an impact or punch. I couldn't come up with a closing statement. Any suggestions?
Second, to suggest that dog fighting is a culturally excepted practice in the “South” is incorrect. Everyone has at least heard of dog fights, but the gaming and torture of animals is unacceptable and not common place in my South. There are sub-cultures that condone this type of gamming (two adjectives come to mind), but once again the southern states are being generalized and lumped into one category, backwards and ignorant.
Thirdly, just because your mama, cousins and uncles do it, doesn’t mean its right. We are all responsible for our own behavior. Quit trying to pass the buck! Own up to your own sins! God gave us a mind and a conscience, and choice so use it!
Self Critique: It’s not great. Not much of an impact or punch. I couldn't come up with a closing statement. Any suggestions?
I could have gone another way with this opinion...agreeing there are cultures that are low class, violent and stero-type, but I thought I should restrain. And I shouldn't get into whether or not he has "found" God. God won't be happy with that judgment.
1 comment:
Probably plan your arguments out in more detail. this is more of a vent. Lumping together is stereotyping...it seemed like you were looking for the word. :-)
Good start though, and I agree. The more you write, the better you'll become and the more impact you'll have! Preach on, Sister!
LUV,
YO MAMA
Post a Comment